Monday, 8 June 2009

Today

I am appalled that the BNP has two MEPs heading for Europe. It is shocking to me that this party of fascist thuggery is able to attract the votes of nearly one million voters in this country. It makes my blood run cold.

On a happier note, I am glad of this - from the Green Party website.

"Party leader Caroline Lucas was re-elected comfortably, with the South East Green Party vote up by half, from 8% to 12%, finishing ahead of Labour. Dr Lucas's bid for election to the Westminster Parliament received a huge boost from a vote of 33.7% in Brighton and Hove. The Greens came first in Brighton and Hove, almost 6,000 votes ahead of the Conservatives, and with more than double Labour's vote across three parliamentary constituencies. Caroline Lucas will be contesting the Brighton Pavilion seat in the general election."

I think it could really happen next time. A Green MP for me, I hope.

7 comments:

Lisa G said...

Me too, a very sad day, good news for the Green Party, unfortunately they are unlikely to make much impact where I live.

Merry said...

Me too; i blogged but i left it private because i share a street with BNP voters and my children play out with the black family who live opposite them - and if i am brutally honest, i am afraid that my views could cause backlash.

Isn't that awful?

Allie said...

Yes, Merry, it is. Awful.

mamacrow said...

I'm wondering very much how the people of Burnley - who voted in a BNP council - are going to find things....

Di said...

Hi Allie

Thought you might want to know (unless you already do) that Searchlight are running a petition about this: http://action.hopenothate.org.uk/notinmyname

Allie said...

Thanks for that, Di. I hope plenty of people sign it.

Allie said...

By the way, if anyone is encountering people who don't realise the true nature of the BNP, the Hope Not Hate website has lots of information that will explain.