Friday, 9 January 2009

Missing the old Greenhouse

I’ve been writing our annual LEA report and I’ve been missing the old Greenhouse blog, which served as a great reminder of what we’d been up to. But our diaries were just about ok.

This has been a week of slowly returning to regular life. I’m sure Leo won’t mind if I mention that he has become a blogging whirlwind and is also working on an extended piece of fiction – 4000 words so far. He was thinking of including some of it in our report to the LEA but decided against – in case his ideas were stolen... He’s reading Inkheart and loving it. I helped him to make a cardboard box castle last week, which was good fun. He dug out all the small figures who should be living in and battling around it – and bought a new knight and a wizard.

Pearlie has been happily pottering and we’ve been doing some logic puzzles that are leading on to stuff about sets. We have looked at it before but are now doing more. We are continuing to use the free MEP resources available on the internet. Oops, this is getting a bit LEA reporty, isn’t it? Shuddup, Allie.

We’ve been shifting stuff around our living room a bit so that we can all see the pc screen for watching things on i-player etc. We took down the periodic table for a bit (yes, we have a map of the world too!) and the children requested a re-showing of the poster of British Prime Ministers. I find it a tad sinister to have Thatcher staring over the pc monitor at me...

Both the kids tidied their rooms today and Leo washed up. We’ve just re-organised our jobs sheet and boosted the pay for certain tasks. I’ve blogged about this before – we all note down little tasks and get paid for them. Washing up after tea pays 25p and tidying a bedroom 50p. I hope we don’t bankrupt ourselves. I’m going to save all my jobs money to pay for entering short story competitions this year. I got another story longlisted in a competition and am determined to keep plugging away. Sadly, that magazine has now gone bust and a prose petry workshop I was hoping to go on has also been cancelled after the organisation stopped running. It seems that the economic downturn is having impacts I hadn’t expected.

Pearl is reading something called “The Bad Spy’s Guide”, which looks like a humorous book. She is still into all things funny.

Dani is knitting away at a new cardy for me. I’m very honoured as she spent all her Christmas C&H vouchers on the yarn for it. She won us a new dictionary in the Guardian Christmas cryptic crossword competition. She’s a clever one, that Dani.

There's been lots of talking here recently. The whole Gaza business has led to many conversations and today we were somehow all discussing Charles 1, Cromwell, The French Revolution and the unification of Germany... Then I left for work, so i don't know what else got discussed.

6 comments:

mamacrow said...

quite apart from the fact that this was all great and really interesting - you have to write a report for the LEA?! I know we're under different local authorities, but that surprised me... Our visiting woman seemed almost against me producing stuff for her!

Allie said...

We choose to write them something rather than have a visit or meeting.

mamacrow said...

ah, I see. is this so you can control what you share, and not have questions jumped on you and 'can they just read/write this' and all that?

Allie said...

Yes - partly. It is also because we are aware that visits might not be a problem for us, they can be for other local home ed families. If we all just go along with the assumption of an annual visit, then that can make it harder for people who need to resist that for their children's well-being. I guess I like being the awkward types who make it harder for them to say "everyone else is happy for us to visit".

halleberry said...

Earning money online never been this easy and transparent. You would find great tips on how to make that dream amount every month. So go ahead and click here for more details and open floodgates to your online income. All the best.

chill said...

I was hoping to go on has also been cancelled after the organisation stopped running. It seems that the economic downturn is having impacts I hadn’t expected. garden greenhouse site