Saturday, 27 September 2008

Migraine

Yesterday I woke with a migraine. It is always bad when I wake with one. I had a cluster of triggers the day before – hormonal, got too hungry between meals, didn’t drink enough – and I’m also wondering if the twister wasn’t the last straw...

Dani went off to work and I got up slowly and tried to function. I sat with P, who was doing some maths, but I was more a grim, occasionally groaning presence than any help. Leo was writing in his spell book and watching Merlin clips on i-player. I told the kids I was going to lie down and I did but it really isn’t possible to shake a migraine unless I sleep deeply. I can do that thing of holding myself in light sleep (I think I learned it when they were babies) but the pain just goes on. I phoned D and asked her to come in at lunchtime (bringing bread for kids’ lunches) and she agreed. When she saw how grim I was she arranged to work from home for the afternoon. Then I felt I could really sleep. I know the kids are really fine these days if I do crash out but I just can’t relax properly if it’s daytime and I’m the only adult in the house.

After a sleep I was no longer feeling like I was about to throw up or cry, so I lay on the sofa for the rest of the day. I’m so lucky that D appreciates how incapacitated I am by migraine. It’s also lucky that technology can help with working at home.

Right, D and P are off at a wedding and I’ve things to arrange for Leo before I can go to work. The weather here is amazing - far better than it was for most of the summer. I’ve got to work today and tomorrow – ho hum.

4 comments:

HelenHaricot said...

as fellow migraineur, many sympathies. i think it can be difficult for those that don't have them to realise just how truly awful they are. they are certainly not just a bad headache!

Allie said...

Thanks, Helen. Yes, the headache is just a part of it. It's really a total state, isn't it? I find the nausea really incapacitating and the way that small noises seem amplified. Yes, they're all round hideous things!

Gill said...

Hope you're feeling better now. (?)

mamacrow said...

ugh, how horrid for you :( glad you got the rest you needed